Use COPY for populating all pgbench tables

From: "Tristan Partin" <tristan(at)neon(dot)tech>
To: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Use COPY for populating all pgbench tables
Date: 2023-05-23 17:33:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello,

We (Neon) have noticed that pgbench can be quite slow to populate data
in regard to higher latency connections. Higher scale factors exacerbate
this problem. Some employees work on a different continent than the
databases they might be benchmarking. By moving pgbench to use COPY for
populating all tables, we can reduce some of the time pgbench takes for
this particular step.

I wanted to come with benchmarks, but unfortunately I won't have them
until next month. I can follow-up in a future email.

--
Tristan Partin
Neon (https://neon.tech)

Attachment Content-Type Size
v1-0001-Move-constant-into-format-string.patch text/x-patch 990 bytes
v1-0002-Use-COPY-instead-of-INSERT-for-populating-all-tab.patch text/x-patch 7.6 KB