Re: psql could not connect to server

From: Seth Rubin <srubin(at)thoughtprocess(dot)com>
To: pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: psql could not connect to server
Date: 2003-09-19 17:05:03
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

Re: postgres help[Scanned]I had something similar happen to me today. I on
WinXPhome and tried to run psql after a fresh bootup (my boot automatically
starts init, ipc-daemon2, postmaster), and I got:

psql: could not connect to server: No such file or directory

I did ls -l /tmp, but didn't see the file in question. All services were
showing as "running". There was nothing unusual in any log files.

My first instinct, which proved to be the solution, was to re-start
postmaster (net stop postmaster, net start postmaster). The problem was
easily remedied, but I don't want it to ever happen to my users in a
production environment, if I can help it.

Cygwin Package Information
Package Version Status
cygipc 2.01-2 OK
cygwin 1.5.4-1 OK