Re: Build the docs if there are changes in docs and don't run other tasks if the changes are only in docs

From: Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>
To: Nazir Bilal Yavuz <byavuz81(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Build the docs if there are changes in docs and don't run other tasks if the changes are only in docs
Date: 2023-09-08 08:05:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On 7 Sep 2023, at 18:06, Nazir Bilal Yavuz <byavuz81(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> if the changes are only in the docs, don't run
> all tasks except building the docs task; this could help to save more
> CI times.

A related idea for docs in order to save CI time: if the changes are only in
internal docs, ie README files, then don't run any tasks at all. Looking at
src/backend/parser/README the last two commits only touched that file, and
while such patches might not be all that common, spending precious CI resources
on them seems silly if we can avoid it.

It doesn't have to be included in this, just wanted to bring it up as it's
related.

> I attached two patches.
>
> I assumed that the docs related changes are limited with the changes
> in the docs folder but I am not really sure about that.

Almost, but not entirely. There are a set of scripts which generate content
for the docs based on files in src/, like src/backend/catalog/sql_features.txt
and src/include/parser/kwlist.h. If those source files change, or their
scripts, it would be helpful to build docs.

--
Daniel Gustafsson