Re: proposal: new contrib module plpgsql's embeded sql validator

From: Jim Nasby <jim(at)nasby(dot)net>
To: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Petr Jelínek <pjmodos(at)pjmodos(dot)net>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: proposal: new contrib module plpgsql's embeded sql validator
Date: 2011-07-21 22:00:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Jul 19, 2011, at 10:51 PM, Pavel Stehule wrote:
>> If you mean that such checks would be done automatically, no, they
>> shouldn't be. Consider a function that creates a table and then uses
>> it, or even just depends on using a table that doesn't yet exist when
>> you do CREATE FUNCTION.
>
> yes, any deep check is not possible for function that uses a temporary tables.
>
> A plpgsql_lint is not silver bullet - for these cases is necessary to
> disable lint.
>
> . I can't to speak generally - I have no idea, how much percent of
> functions are functions with access to temporary tables - in my last
> project I use 0 temp tables on cca 300 KB of plpgsql code.
>
> The more terrible problem is a new dependency between functions. I use
> a workaround - some like headers

You can work around temp table issues the same way: just define the temp table before you create the function.

In practice, if I have a function that depends on a temp table it either creates it itself if it doesn't already exist or I have a separate function to create the table; that way you have a single place that has the temp table definition, and that is in the database itself.
--
Jim C. Nasby, Database Architect jim(at)nasby(dot)net
512.569.9461 (cell) http://jim.nasby.net