Re: TODO item: Allow more complex user/database default GUC settings

From: Bernd Helmle <mailings(at)oopsware(dot)de>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Gurjeet Singh <singh(dot)gurjeet(at)gmail(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: TODO item: Allow more complex user/database default GUC settings
Date: 2009-10-03 11:31:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

--On 1. Oktober 2009 17:22:06 -0400 Alvaro Herrera

>> - The patch as is has still some locking problems (AlterRoleSet()
>> has a XXX about that): I've managed to create dead entries for a
>> role or a database in pg_db_role_setting while altering and dropping
>> a role/database in two concurrent sessions.
>
> Yeah, I was playing with that too. I think we need a few extra
> LockSharedObject calls, and not only in the new code :-( (This troubles
> me in the case of databases, because we already grab a lock on it during
> connection establishing, so this could cause extra contention there.)

I have marked the patch as "Ready For Committer", so it can be taken by a
committer to help to resolve the remaining locking issue. There seems no
other issues left. If this is too hasty, i can set it back to whatever you
think its appropriate.

--
Thanks

Bernd