Bug Report: Multiple Prompts & Perpetual Busy Cursor on Reconnect

From: Dan Lauber <dlauber(at)eink(dot)com>
To: "pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Bug Report: Multiple Prompts & Perpetual Busy Cursor on Reconnect
Date: 2012-02-09 22:20:02
Lists: pgadmin-support

Platform: Windows7, 64-bit
Language: English
Version: 1.14.1 (REL-1_14_1)

After my database connection is dropped due to timeout, and then I click an item in the 'Object browser' tree, I have to click through several prompts and hit F5 several times to actually reconnect, and then the busy cursor covers the whole application though everything still works. I've experienced this with the last several versions of pgAdmin.

Steps to Reproduce:

1. Leave pgAdmin idle for a while until the connection times out.

2. Click a table, function, etc. in the Object Browser.

3. Error prompt: "An error has occurred: server closed the connection unexpectedly. This probably means the server terminated abnormally before or while processing the request." Click OK.

4. Exclamation prompt: "Connection to server myserver.mydomain.com lost. Do you want to attempt to reconnect to the server?" Click Yes.

5. Properties & SQL panes don't update to reflect selected entity, press F5 to refresh

6. Exclamation prompt: "Connection to database mydb lost. Do you want to attempt to reconnect to the database?" Click Yes.

7. Exclamation prompt: "Connection to database myotherdb lost. Do you want to attempt to reconnect to the database?" Click Yes.

8. Panes still don't update, press F5 again

9. Panes update, but now I get busy cursor over the whole application except title bars, menu bars, SQL panes, and the row/column headers and data regions of the data grids (i.e. busy cursor only in the upper right corner block). I can still use the application with the busy cursor (i.e. it doesn't block clicking).

Busy cursor appears in:
Main window over toolbar, status bar, Object browser, and Properties, Statistics, etc. tabs and their panes, but not in the SQL pane (busy cursor over the title, but not the actual text control) and not menu bar (File, Edit, etc).

It also appears in table view and SQL query editor windows. In data grids, it only shows over the blank top-left corner heading, and not over any column or row headings, over data, or in empty space. I get the busy cursor in scratch pads, but not SQL editor panes.

In the past, the application would crash within a short while after this happened if I continued to use it, though that seems to be fixed.

I hope this helps, this has been an annoying bug. Thanks!

Dan Lauber | Device Performance Engineer
E Ink Corporation | 733 Concord Avenue, Cambridge, MA 02138
P: 617.499.6032 | F: 617.499.6200

This transmission is intended only for use by the addressee(s) named herein and may contain information that is proprietary, confidential and/or legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of the information contained herein (including any reliance thereon) is STRICTLY PROHIBITED. If you received this transmission in error, please immediately contact the sender and destroy the material in its entirety, whether in electronic or hard copy format.