Re: Benchmark-Comparison PostGreSQL vs. SQL Server

From: "Robert Soeding" <robert(dot)soeding(at)lisocon(dot)de>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Benchmark-Comparison PostGreSQL vs. SQL Server
Date: 2004-11-25 12:18:12
Lists: pgsql-general

> 1. What configuration changes have you made?

None, both installations are default configured.

> 2. How many concurrent connections was this?

One.

> 3. Were you selecting 1000 rows (LIMIT 1000), selecting all the rows
> (and only fetching 1000) or actually defining an SQL cursor.

I used "LIMIT 1000", resp. "TOP 1000" statements.

> 4. What was the load on the machine - CPU or DISK peaking?
> 5. What was the RAM usage like?

CPU (< 10%) and RAM (<10%) usage were very low.

- I guess (as you mentioned below) it's the NT file system.
When running PostgreSQL queries I can hear the harddisk buzzing, but not with SQL Server queries.

On the other hand, if an application has to "fight" against the file system, I would suppose it to increase RAM and CPU usage significantly.