Re: Semi-final draft for press release

From: Rob Napier <rob(at)doitonce(dot)net(dot)au>
To: "Jonathan S(dot) Katz" <jonathan(dot)katz(at)excoventures(dot)com>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Semi-final draft for press release
Date: 2012-08-20 08:18:16
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Jonathan

On 20/08/12 2:50 PM, "Jonathan S. Katz" <jonathan(dot)katz(at)excoventures(dot)com>
wrote:

> Looks very good! My only recommendation would be to put the paragraph / list
> with the performance numbers higher up in the release. People like numbers
> showing speed, plus 350,000 reads / second is something to brag about :-)

I see your point and I¹m always open to other views; but here is why I
disagree on this occasion:

Para 1&2. Introduction followed by quote supporting claim in
introduction.

Paras 3,4,5,6,7&8. High profile name and quote introduces scalability &
improvement.
Establishing credibility is more important
than numbers in my view.
This is followed by the numbers and a
second supporting quote.

Paras 9,10,11&12. Techie benefits but introduced with some good reference
sites.

If the numbers is what we are pushing, it would be a totally different
piece. The quotes would need to change and we have to work with the quotes
we have. Also, I think it is well balanced as it is. If the journalists
think that the numbers are more important, they will move them!

However you did remind me of something: I had the headline in the back of my
mind but I didn¹t enunciate it. I suggest:

> PostgreSQL 9.2 to set new record for market acceptance

If its virtue is not immediately obvious, I¹m happy to explain why.

Regards

Rob Napier