Re: Help me improve the 9.2 release announcement!

From: Rob Napier <rob(at)doitonce(dot)net(dot)au>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Help me improve the 9.2 release announcement!
Date: 2012-08-07 21:00:57
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Josh

Based on what I've been able to follow, I'd include JSON but indicate that
this is the first phase of the development of JSON. That will take the wind
out of any criticism that it will get for being less complete than the
opposition. I would view it as a promise of further improvement in 9.3.

On 8/08/12 4:37 AM, "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com> wrote:

> So my problem is that I can't make it fit into a simple theme that the
> general press will understand. Performance+JSON is a simple theme.
> Performance+WierdNewTypes is not.
>
> Also, incomplete or not, the JSON support has already gotten far more
> press attention than any other feature in 9.2. Developer attention
> also; at SCALE and PyCon, JSON support was the *only* 9.2 feature anyone
> asked me about. So JSON needs to stay in, fairly prominently.
>
> Can someone suggest a way to work range types into a simple, 2-part
> theme which doesn't obscure the JSON message?

As for the WeirdNewTypes, it needs a simple lo-tech way of explaining it.
Maybe a short, simple example of how it is applied.

Rob