Re: Server hangs on multiple connections

From: David Christian <davidc(at)comtechmobile(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: Server hangs on multiple connections
Date: 2002-09-23 16:02:02
Lists: pgsql-bugs

I think you've fixed it. With your patch, and a simple

$ ./configure
$ make
$ make check
# make install

the check works and all tests (except geometry on floating point stuff)
pass; and after installing, I can really hammer the server and it
doesn't hang. Looks like users on Yellow Dog Linux multi-CPU PowerPC
platforms won't have this problem anymore ... that is, when the next
person besides me decides to try it. :-)

This whole exercise was well worth my time, and I get the added bonus
of not having to switch machines. I know you spent a lot of time on it
and I greatly appreciate your care and responsiveness.

Many thanks - feel free to ask me to check anything else on this
platform you would like to see.

David

On Friday, Sep 20, 2002, at 20:40 US/Eastern, Tom Lane wrote:

> Well, the long and the short of it seems to be that no one before you
> ever tried to run Postgres on a multi-CPU PowerPC machine :-(
>
> Some digging around on the net made it clear that we were missing
> synchronization instructions that are critical for access to shared
> memory in a multi-CPU system. I have applied the attached patch to
> CVS tip (7.3beta2-almost). It looks like it will apply cleanly to
> 7.2.*, so please try it out (with optimization re-enabled) and let
> us know what you see!

[snip]