Re: Converting from single user w/pool to multiple users

From: "Guy Rouillier" <guyr(at)masergy(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Converting from single user w/pool to multiple users
Date: 2005-03-24 22:46:47
Lists: pgsql-general

Jeff Amiel wrote:
> The issue is really propogating the authenticaion credentials to the
> database itself.....it's our ON INSERT/ON UPDATE/ON DELETE triggers
> that are doing the auditing and they need the user ID to accurately
> log changes. In lieu of any other per-connection persistant data
> option, this seems like the best bet.

I still don't like the idea of thousands of connections, most of which
will probably most of the time be doing nothing except consuming lots of
memory. You might want to explore creating a small wrapper around the
JBoss connection pool that uses SET SESSION AUTHORIZATION after
obtaining a connection. That way you can still have a small number of
pooled connections but have the real user id associated with the
connection.

--
Guy Rouillier