Re: standby promotion can create unreadable WAL

From: "Imseih (AWS), Sami" <simseih(at)amazon(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Alvaro Herrera" <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Subject: Re: standby promotion can create unreadable WAL
Date: 2022-08-26 15:59:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I agree. Testing StandbyMode here seems bogus. I thought initially
> that the test should perhaps be for InArchiveRecovery rather than
> ArchiveRecoveryRequested, but I see that the code which switches to a
> new timeline cares about ArchiveRecoveryRequested, so I think that is
> the correct thing to test here as well.

> Concretely, I propose the following patch.

This patch looks similar to the change suggested in
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/FB0DEA0B-E14E-43A0-811F-C1AE93D00FF3%40amazon.com
to deal with panics after promoting a standby.

The difference is the patch tests !ArchiveRecoveryRequested instead
of !StandbyModeRequested as proposed in the mentioned thread.

Thanks
--
Sami Imseih
Amazon Web Services