Re: Draft of 9.2 beta announcement, please revise/improve

From: Rob Napier <rob(at)doitonce(dot)net(dot)au>
To: Joshua Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, PostgreSQL advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Draft of 9.2 beta announcement, please revise/improve
Date: 2012-05-07 07:42:02
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Hi Josh

A few suggestions.

On 7/05/12 6:19 AM, "Joshua Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com> wrote:

> All,
>
> What follows is the first draft of the public announcement of version 9.2beta.
> Please correct and help me improve the language of the announcement. Note
> that, since our beta announcements tend to get picked up by the press, it's a
> bit marketing-ish. That's on purpose.
>
> =========================

The PostgreSQL Global Development Group announces the beta release of
PostgreSQL 9.2. This new release continues to earn its title: "The world's
most advanced relational database system".

Version 9.2 includes major improvements in performance, as well as [or
'and'] vertical and horizontal scalability.

The PostgreSQL project invites users to download and begin testing this
beta release as soon as possible.

Major performance and scalability advances ready to be tested include:

* Index-only scans, allowing users to avoid expensive ['inefficient' or
'time-consuming'?] scans of slow-changing tables

* Dramatially improved read-only workload scaling to 64 cores and over
300,000 queries per second

* Cascading replication, supporting rapid failover and geographically
distributed standby databases

PostgreSQL 9.2 will also offer many new features for application developers,
including:

* JSON data support, allowing hybrid document-relational databases to be
built

* Range types, supporting new types of calendar, time-series and analytic
applications

* Several improvements that make migrations from other database easier

For a full listing of the ready-to-test features in version 9.2 beta, please
see the release notes [LINK].

We depend on our community to help test each verson ­ to guarantee that it
delivers high-performance and is bug-free.

Please download PostgreSQL 9.2 Beta and try it with your workloads and
applications as soon as you can, and give feedback to the PostgreSQL
developers. More information on how to test and report issues in PostgreSQL
is here: [LINK]

PostgreSQL 9.2 beta, including binaries and installers for multiple
platforms from our download page: [LINK]

Full documentation for the new version is available on line [LINK] and
installs with PostgreSQL.

Regards

Rob Napier