Re: first message: SELECT <column> FROM <t

From: Alban Hertroys <dalroi(at)solfertje(dot)student(dot)utwente(dot)nl>
To: Bill Moran <wmoran(at)potentialtech(dot)com>
Cc: "Aílsom F(dot) Heringer" <ailsom(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: first message: SELECT <column> FROM <t
Date: 2008-02-02 19:49:45
Lists: pgsql-general

On Feb 2, 2008, at 6:56 PM, Bill Moran wrote:

> preserved that. PostgreSQL is case-sensative, so try matching the
> column
> name exactly and putting "" around it. If that doesn't work,
> provide some

That is just plain incorrect, PostgreSQL is *not* case sensitive. The
real problem here (as Scott pointed out) is that the column in the
table is defined so that the case is preserved (by quoting the column
name), but the column in the query isn't and thus gets folded (to
lowercase) and can't be found.

I'm inclined to call this a bug in PgAdmin III (except that I hardly
know it), it shouldn't quote identifiers to keep case if the user
doesn't explicitly ask it to. This question pops up frequently, so it
would be nice if something was done about it (my preference would be
by not /implicitly/ quote identifiers). It certainly seems to confuse
novice users.

My €0.02.

Alban Hertroys

!DSPAM:737,47a4c3e7817485094119420!