Re: [GENERAL] A real currency type

From: Pailloncy Jean-Gerard <jg(at)rilk(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] A real currency type
Date: 2006-03-21 17:15:29
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

>> This looks very interesting. Should we add it to the core
>> distribution?
>
> Excellent question. As yet I have received very little feedback on it,
> though it does work as advertised. I have had some people complain
> that
> while they'd like to use it (especially the timestamp-that-remembers-
> the-timezone), they don't like the idea of an external module.
>
> I suppose the are a few technical issues that could be raised, like
> the
> fact that it searches user tables during the parse phase, but this
> is a
> generic problem with non-immutable type input functions.
>
> I'd like it to be considered for inclusion. If the interest is there I
> can make any changes people suggest.
There was an old thread on the list about "extended type".

The general idea was to add a attribute to each column to represent
the "unit" (as for physical measure).

I had worked on a development system that use this kind of "extended
type" and it was very good to catch errors by checking the
compatibility of extended type.

Cordialement,
Jean-Gérard Pailloncy