Re: Getting Started with PostgreSQL for Windows

From: "Tomeh, Husam" <htomeh(at)firstam(dot)com>
To: "James Schiiller" <jamesschiiller(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Getting Started with PostgreSQL for Windows
Date: 2006-09-14 21:02:46
Lists: pgsql-novice

If the password for the postgres database account is not working, then what you may want to do is

1. Shut down postgres server by going to windows services and stopping the postgres service.
2. Edit postgres pg_hba.conf and allow for "trust" authentication method instead of "md5" for your local host. (http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/client-authentication.html#AUTH-PG-HBA-CONF)
3. Start up postgres service again
4. Login to postgres (psql -U postgres). It will not ask you for a password. If you want to enforce md5 again, make sure to alter the "postgres" password before updating the pg_hba.conf again.

If the password for the postgres windows account is the one that's not working, then you may need to reset it by following the steps specified:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;298252

--
Husam
http://firstdba.googlepages.com <http://firstdba.googlepages.com>