Re: Postgresql performance and tuning questions

From: "Tomeh, Husam" <htomeh(at)firstam(dot)com>
To: "Given, Robert A" <bgiven(at)bu(dot)edu>, "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgresql performance and tuning questions
Date: 2006-02-16 16:39:30
Lists: pgsql-admin

I do understand your school of thinking. But let me say this, from just
a user point of view who had used 7.4.x, 8.0, and 8.1, I'd highly
recommend to start off with 8.1. I can comment on performance in
particular among other great stuff such as scalability, robustness etc.
The performance in 8.1 compared with previous releases (even 8.0) is
remarkable and frankly like the difference between day and light,
specially when it comes to complex queries in large databases. From a
technical point of view, you can view the docs to find out more about
the great improvements with 8.1, such as
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/whatsnew

Just my two cents :)

----

Husam