Re: Benchmarking: How to identify bottleneck (limiting factor) and achieve "linear scalability"?

From: Saurabh Nanda <saurabhnanda(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>
Cc: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-performance(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Benchmarking: How to identify bottleneck (limiting factor) and achieve "linear scalability"?
Date: 2019-01-29 06:15:08
Lists: pgsql-performance

> c) I tried another cloud hosting provider (E2E Networks) and just the raw
> performance numbers (with default configuration) are blowing Hetzner out of
> the water.

I noticed that on E2E, the root filesystem is mounted with the following

/dev/xvda on / type ext4

(rw,noatime,nodiratime,nobarrier,errors=remount-ro,stripe=512,data=ordered)

whereas on Hetzner, it is mounted with the following options:

/dev/nvme0n1p3 on / type ext4
(rw,relatime,data=ordered)

How much of a difference can this have on absolute TPS numbers?

-- Saurabh.