Re: Pg_upgrade and toast tables bug discovered

From: Noah Yetter <nyetter(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Pg_upgrade and toast tables bug discovered
Date: 2014-09-03 23:12:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I'm not sure it's fixed. I am attempting a pg_upgrade from 9.2.8 to 9.3.5
and it dies like so:

(...many relations restoring successfully snipped...)
pg_restore: creating SEQUENCE address_address_id_seq
pg_restore: [archiver (db)] Error while PROCESSING TOC:
pg_restore: [archiver (db)] Error from TOC entry 1410; 1259 17670 SEQUENCE
address_address_id_seq javaprod
pg_restore: [archiver (db)] could not execute query: ERROR: could not
create file "base/16414/17670": File exists

Inspecting a copy of the source cluster, OID 17670 does indeed correspond
to address_address_id_seq, but inspecting the partially-upgraded cluster
that OID is taken by pg_toast_202359_index. Again conferring with a copy
of the source (9.2.8) cluster, the relation corresponding to filenode
202359 does not have a toast table.

(I know pg-hackers isn't the right place to discuss admin issues, but this
thread is the only evidence of this bug I can find. If anyone can suggest
a workaround I would be infinitely grateful.)