Re: GIN improvements part 1: additional information

From: Alexander Korotkov <aekorotkov(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com>
Cc: Tomas Vondra <tv(at)fuzzy(dot)cz>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: GIN improvements part 1: additional information
Date: 2013-11-04 21:44:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Oct 21, 2013 at 11:12 PM, Alexander Korotkov
<aekorotkov(at)gmail(dot)com>wrote:

> Attached version of patch is debugged. I would like to note that number of
> bugs was low and it wasn't very hard to debug. I've rerun tests on it. You
> can see that numbers are improved as the result of your refactoring.
>
> event | period
> -----------------------+-----------------
> index_build | 00:01:45.416822
> index_build_recovery | 00:00:06
> index_update | 00:05:17.263606
> index_update_recovery | 00:01:22
> search_new | 00:24:07.706482
> search_updated | 00:26:25.364494
> (6 rows)
>
> label | blocks_mark
> ----------------+-------------
> search_new | 847587636
> search_updated | 881210486
> (2 rows)
>
> label | size
> ---------------+-----------
> new | 419299328
> after_updates | 715915264
> (2 rows)
>
> Beside simple bugs, there was a subtle bug in incremental item indexes
> update. I've added some more comments including ASCII picture about how
> item indexes are shifted.
>
> Now, I'm trying to implement support of old page format. Then we can
> decide which approach to use.

Attached version of patch has support of old page format. Patch still needs
more documentation and probably refactoring, but I believe idea is clear
and it can be reviewed. In the patch I have to revert change of null
category placement for compatibility with old posting list format.

------
With best regards,
Alexander Korotkov.

Attachment Content-Type Size
gin-packed-postinglists-12.patch.gz application/x-gzip 28.2 KB