Re: Diagonal storage model

From: Alexander Korotkov <a(dot)korotkov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
To: Konstantin Knizhnik <k(dot)knizhnik(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Diagonal storage model
Date: 2018-04-01 17:13:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi!

On Sun, Apr 1, 2018 at 3:48 PM, Konstantin Knizhnik <
k(dot)knizhnik(at)postgrespro(dot)ru> wrote:

> I want to announce new model, "diagonal storage" which combines benefits
> of both approaches.
> The idea is very simple: we first store column 1 of first record, then
> column 2 of second record, ... and so on until we reach the last column.
> After it we store second column of first record, third column of the
> second record,...

Sounds interesting. Could "diagonal storages" be applied twice? That is
could we apply
diagonal transformation to the result of another diagonal transformation?
I expect we
should get a "square diagonal" transformation...

Attach please find patch with first prototype implementation. It provides
> about 3.14 times improvement of performance at most of TPC-H queries.

Great, but with square diagonal transformation we should get 3.14^2 times
improvement,
which is even better!

------
Alexander Korotkov