Re: Assert failure on 'list_member_ptr(rel->joininfo, restrictinfo)'

From: Alexander Korotkov <aekorotkov(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh(dot)bapat(dot)oss(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Alexander Pyhalov <a(dot)pyhalov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, Andrei Lepikhov <a(dot)lepikhov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, Richard Guo <guofenglinux(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Assert failure on 'list_member_ptr(rel->joininfo, restrictinfo)'
Date: 2023-12-08 17:54:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi, Ashutosh!

On Fri, Dec 8, 2023 at 3:28 PM Ashutosh Bapat
<ashutosh(dot)bapat(dot)oss(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> I did some analysis of memory consumption by bitmapsets in such cases.
> [1] contains slides with the result of this analysis. The slides are
> crude and quite WIP. But they will give some idea.
>
> [1] https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1S9BiAADhX-Fv9tDbx5R5Izq4blAofhZMhHcO1c-wzfI/edit?usp=sharing

Thank you for sharing your analysis. I understand that usage of a
plain bitmap becomes a problem with a large number of partitions. But
I wonder what does "post proposed fixes" mean? Is it the fixes posted
in [1]. If so it's very surprising for me they are reducing the
memory footprint size.

Links.
1. https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAPpHfdtLgCryACcrmLv=Koq9rAB3=tr5y9D84dGgvUhSCvjzjg@mail.gmail.com

------