Re: Psql patch to show access methods info

From: Alexander Korotkov <a(dot)korotkov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Nikita Glukhov <n(dot)gluhov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, Kyotaro HORIGUCHI <horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Subject: Re: Psql patch to show access methods info
Date: 2019-07-24 13:54:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi!

On Wed, Jul 24, 2019 at 9:00 AM Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de> wrote:
> On 2019-07-23 01:57:29 +0300, Alexander Korotkov wrote:
> > It was always scary there is no way in psql to see am/opclass/opfamily
> > information rather than query catalog directly.
>
> What does make that scary?

For it's unclear why do we have backslash commands for observing
almost every part of system catalog, but this quite large part is
missed.

> > I'm going to push it. Probably, someone find that commands syntax and
> > output formats are not well discussed yet. But we're pretty earlier
> > in 13 release cycle. So, we will have time to work out a criticism if
> > any.
>
> Please don't before we've had some discussion as to why we want this
> additional code, and who'd be helped by it.

OK. Given that few senior developers participate in discussion of
details, I thought we kind of agree that need this. Now you've
explicitly express other opinion, so let's discuss.

------
Alexander Korotkov
The Russian Postgres Company