Re: Pluggable storage

From: Alexander Korotkov <a(dot)korotkov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
To: Julien Rouhaud <julien(dot)rouhaud(at)dalibo(dot)com>
Cc: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Teodor Sigaev <teodor(at)sigaev(dot)ru>, Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Haribabu Kommi <kommi(dot)haribabu(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Pluggable storage
Date: 2017-06-26 15:18:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hackers,

I see that design question for PostgreSQL pluggable storages is very hard.
BTW, I think it worth analyzing existing use-cases of pluggable storages.
I think that the most famous DBMS with pluggable storage API is MySQL.
This why I decided to start with it. I've added MySQL/MariaDB section on
wiki page.
https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Future_of_storage#MySQL.2FMariaDB
It appears that significant part of MySQL storage engines are misuses.
MySQL lacks of various features like FDWs or writable views and so on.
This is why developers created a lot of pluggable storages for that
purposes. We definitely don't want something like this in PostgreSQL now.
I created special resume column where I expressed whether it would be nice
to have something like this table engine in PostgreSQL.

Any comments and additions are welcome. I'm planning to write similar
table for MongoDB.

------
Alexander Korotkov
The Russian Postgres Company