Re: GSoC 2017: weekly progress reports (week 6)

From: Alexander Korotkov <a(dot)korotkov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
To: Shubham Barai <shubhambaraiss(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Andrew Borodin <amborodin86(at)gmail(dot)com>, Kevin Grittner <kgrittn(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: GSoC 2017: weekly progress reports (week 6)
Date: 2017-09-28 10:19:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-www

On Thu, Sep 28, 2017 at 12:45 AM, Alexander Korotkov <
a(dot)korotkov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 9, 2017 at 6:30 PM, Shubham Barai <shubhambaraiss(at)gmail(dot)com>
> wrote:
>
>> Please find the updated patch for predicate locking in gin index here.
>>
>> There was a small issue in the previous patch. I didn't consider the case
>> where only root page exists in the tree, and there is a predicate lock on
>> it,
>> and it gets split.
>>
>> If we treat the original page as a left page and create a new root and
>> right
>> page, then we just need to copy a predicate lock from the left to the
>> right
>> page (this is the case in B-tree).
>>
>> But if we treat the original page as a root and create a new left and
>> right
>> page, then we need to copy a predicate lock on both new pages (in the
>> case of rum and gin).
>>
>> link to updated code and tests: https://github.com/shub
>> hambaraiss/postgres/commit/6172639a104785f051cb4aa0d511c58f2bae65a6
>>

> I've assigned to review this patch. First of all I'd like to understand
> general idea of this patch.
>
> As I get, you're placing predicate locks to both entry tree leaf pages and
> posting tree leaf pages. But, GIN implements so called "fast scan"
> technique which allows it to skip some leaf pages of posting tree when
> these pages are guaranteed to not contain matching item pointers. Wherein
> the particular order of posting list scan and skip depends of their
> estimated size (so it's a kind of coincidence).
>
> But thinking about this more generally, I found that proposed locking
> scheme is redundant. Currently when entry has posting tree, you're locking
> both:
> 1) entry tree leaf page containing pointer to posting tree,
> 2) leaf pages of corresponding posting tree.
> Therefore conflicting transactions accessing same entry would anyway
> conflict while accessing the same entry tree leaf page. So, there is no
> necessity to lock posting tree leaf pages at all. Alternatively, if entry
> has posting tree, you can skip locking entry tree leaf page and lock
> posting tree leaf pages instead.

I'd like to note that I had following warnings during compilation using
clang.

gininsert.c:519:47: warning: incompatible pointer to integer conversion
> passing 'void *' to parameter of type 'Buffer' (aka 'int')
> [-Wint-conversion]
> CheckForSerializableConflictIn(index, NULL, NULL);
> ^~~~
> /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/../lib/clang/8.0.0/include/stddef.h:105:16:
> note: expanded from macro 'NULL'
> # define NULL ((void*)0)
> ^~~~~~~~~~
> ../../../../src/include/storage/predicate.h:64:87: note: passing argument
> to parameter 'buffer' here
> extern void CheckForSerializableConflictIn(Relation relation, HeapTuple
> tuple, Buffer buffer);
>
> ^
> 1 warning generated.
> ginvacuum.c:163:2: warning: implicit declaration of function
> 'PredicateLockPageCombine' is invalid in C99
> [-Wimplicit-function-declaration]
> PredicateLockPageCombine(gvs->index, deleteBlkno, rightlink);
> ^
> 1 warning generated.

Also, I tried to remove predicate locks from posting tree leafs. At least
isolation tests passed correctly after this change.

However, after telegram discussion with Andrew Borodin, we decided that it
would be better to do predicate locking and conflict checking for posting
tree leafs, but skip that for entry tree leafs (in the case when entry has
posting tree). That would give us more granular locking and less false
positives.

------
Alexander Korotkov
The Russian Postgres Company