Re: WIP: BRIN multi-range indexes

From: Alexander Korotkov <a(dot)korotkov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
To: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Mark Dilger <hornschnorter(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: WIP: BRIN multi-range indexes
Date: 2019-03-03 04:35:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Mar 3, 2019 at 12:12 AM Tomas Vondra
<tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> On 3/2/19 10:05 AM, Alexander Korotkov wrote:
> > assuming it's not AM-defined function, but function used for
> > inter-opclass compatibility.
>
> I'm not sure I understand what you mean by this. Can you elaborate? Does
> the current implementation (i.e. distance function being implemented as
> an opclass support procedure) work for you or not?

I mean that unlike other index access methods BRIN allow opclasses to
define custom support procedures. These support procedures are not
directly called from AM, but might be called from other opclass
support procedures. That allows to re-use the same high-level support
procedures in multiple opclasses.

So, distance support procedure is not directly called from AM. We
don't have to change the interface between AM and opclass for that.
This is why I'm OK with that.

------
Alexander Korotkov
The Russian Postgres Company