Re: Horizontal scalability/sharding

From: Alexander Korotkov <a(dot)korotkov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
To: Mason S <masonlists(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Oleg Bartunov <obartunov(at)gmail(dot)com>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Horizontal scalability/sharding
Date: 2015-08-31 19:08:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Aug 31, 2015 at 9:48 PM, Mason S <masonlists(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

>> We also a bit disappointed by Huawei position about CSN patch, we hoped
>> to use for our XTM.
>>

> Disappointed in what way? Moving to some sort of CSN approach seems to
> open things up for different future ideas. In the short term, it would mean
> replacing potentially large snapshots and longer visibility checks. In the
> long term, perhaps CSN could help simplify the design of multi-master
> replication schemes.

We are disappointed because at PGCon talk Huawei announced publishing of
their CSN patch and further work in this direction together with community.
However, it's even not published yet despite all the promises. Nobody from
Huawei answers CSN thread in the hackers.
So, I think we got nothing from Huawei except teasing and should rely only
on ourselves. That is disappointing.

------
Alexander Korotkov
The Russian Postgres Company