Re: GIN improvements part2: fast scan

From: Alexander Korotkov <aekorotkov(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: GIN improvements part2: fast scan
Date: 2013-11-14 17:26:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Jun 30, 2013 at 3:00 PM, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com
> wrote:

> On 28.06.2013 22:31, Alexander Korotkov wrote:
>
>> Now, I got the point of three state consistent: we can keep only one
>> consistent in opclasses that support new interface. exact true and exact
>> false values will be passed in the case of current patch consistent; exact
>> false and unknown will be passed in the case of current patch
>> preConsistent. That's reasonable.
>>

> I'm going to mark this as "returned with feedback". For the next version,
> I'd like to see the API changed per above. Also, I'd like us to do
> something about the tidbitmap overhead, as a separate patch before this, so
> that we can assess the actual benefit of this patch. And a new test case
> that demonstrates the I/O benefits.

Revised version of patch is attached.
Changes are so:
1) Patch rebased against packed posting lists, not depends on additional
information now.
2) New API with tri-state logic is introduced.

------
With best regards,
Alexander Korotkov.

Attachment Content-Type Size
gin-fast-scan.6.patch.gz application/x-gzip 8.2 KB