Should we cacheline align PGXACT?

From: Alexander Korotkov <a(dot)korotkov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
To: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Should we cacheline align PGXACT?
Date: 2016-08-19 06:12:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hackers,

originally this idea was proposed by Andres Freund while experimenting with
lockfree Pin/UnpinBuffer [1].
The patch is attached as well as results of pgbench -S on 72-cores
machine. As before it shows huge benefit in this case.
For sure, we should validate that it doesn't cause performance regression
in other cases. At least we should test read-write and smaller machines.
Any other ideas?

1.
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20160411214029.ce3fw6zxim5k6a2r@alap3.anarazel.de

------
Alexander Korotkov
The Russian Postgres Company

Attachment Content-Type Size
pgxact-align-1.patch application/octet-stream 24.2 KB
image/png 47.4 KB