Re: New gist vacuum.

From: Alexander Korotkov <a(dot)korotkov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
To: Andrey Borodin <x4mmm(at)yandex-team(dot)ru>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Костя Кузнецов <chapaev28(at)ya(dot)ru>, Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Subject: Re: New gist vacuum.
Date: 2018-01-15 18:42:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi!

On Thu, Dec 28, 2017 at 2:37 PM, Andrey Borodin <x4mmm(at)yandex-team(dot)ru>
wrote:

> > 19 дек. 2017 г., в 15:58, Andrey Borodin <x4mmm(at)yandex-team(dot)ru>
> написал(а):
> > Here is the patch that deletes pages during GiST VACUUM.
>
> Here is new version of the patch for GiST VACUUM.
> There are two main changes:
> 1. During rescan for page deletion only know to be recently empty pages
> are rescanned.
> 2. I've re-implemented physical scan with array instead of hash table.

I'm very glad this patch isn't forgotten. I've assigned to review this
patch.
My first note on this patchset is following. These patches touches
sensitive aspects or GiST and are related to complex concurrency issues.
Thus, I'm sure both of them deserve high-level description in
src/backend/access/gist/README. Given this description, it would be much
easier to review the patches.

------
Alexander Korotkov
The Russian Postgres Company