Re: compress method for spgist - 2

From: Alexander Korotkov <a(dot)korotkov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Teodor Sigaev <teodor(at)sigaev(dot)ru>, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>, Paul Ramsey <pramsey(at)cleverelephant(dot)ca>, Pgsql Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: compress method for spgist - 2
Date: 2017-09-18 15:21:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Aug 25, 2015 at 4:05 PM, Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
wrote:

> >> Ok, I see, but that's not really what I was wondering. My question is
> >> this:
> >> SP-GiST partitions the space into non-overlapping sections. How can you
> >> store
> >> polygons - which can overlap - in an SP-GiST index? And how does the
> >> compress
> >> method help with that?
> >

> > I believe if we found a way to index boxes then we will need a compress
> > method to build index over polygons.
> >
> > BTW, we are working on investigation a index structure for box where
> 2d-box
> > is treated as 4d-point.
>
> There has been no activity on this patch for some time now, and a new
> patch version has not been submitted, so I am marking it as return
> with feedback.

There is interest to this patch from PostGIS users. It would be nice to
pickup this patch.
AFAICS, the progress on this patch was suspended because we have no example
for SP-GiST compress method in core/contrib.
However, now we have acdf2a8b committed with 2d to 4d indexing of boxes
using SP-GiST. So, extending this 2d to 4d approach to polygons would be
good example of SP-GiST compress method in core. Would anyone be
volunteering for writing such patch?
If nobody, then I could do it....

------
Alexander Korotkov