Re: XID formatting and SLRU refactorings (was: Add 64-bit XIDs into PostgreSQL 15)

From: Alexander Korotkov <aekorotkov(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Aleksander Alekseev <aleksander(at)timescale(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>, Maxim Orlov <orlovmg(at)gmail(dot)com>, Pavel Borisov <pashkin(dot)elfe(at)gmail(dot)com>, Ilya Anfimov <ilan(at)tzirechnoy(dot)com>
Subject: Re: XID formatting and SLRU refactorings (was: Add 64-bit XIDs into PostgreSQL 15)
Date: 2022-03-17 13:20:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi, Aleksander!

On Thu, Mar 17, 2022 at 4:12 PM Aleksander Alekseev
<aleksander(at)timescale(dot)com> wrote:
> This thread is a fork of [1], created per request by several people in
> the discussion. It includes two patches from the patchset that we
> believe can be delivered in PG15. The rest of the patches are
> targeting PG >= 16 and can be discussed further in [1].

Thank you for putting this into a separate thread.

> v19-0001 changes the format string for XIDs from %u to XID_FMT. This
> refactoring allows us to switch to UINT64_FORMAT by changing one
> #define in the future patches.
>
> Kyotaro suggested using `errmsg("blah blah %lld ..", (long long)
> xid)` instead in order to simplify localization of the error messages.
> Personally I don't have a strong opinion here. Either approach will
> work and will affect the error messages eventually. Please let us know
> what you think.

I'm not a localization expert. Could you clarify what localization
messages should look like if we switch to XID_FMT? And will we have
to change them if change the definition of XID_FMT?

------
Regards,
Alexander Korotkov