Re: Stack overflow issue

From: Alexander Korotkov <aekorotkov(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>, Egor Chindyaskin <kyzevan23(at)mail(dot)ru>, Sascha Kuhl <yogidabanli(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Stack overflow issue
Date: 2024-03-08 10:56:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Mar 7, 2024 at 1:49 AM Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> Alexander Korotkov <aekorotkov(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> > Sorry for tediousness, but isn't pre-order a variation of depth-first order
> > [1]?
>
> To me, depth-first implies visiting children before parents.
> Do I have the terminology wrong?

According to Wikipedia, depth-first is a general term describing the
tree traversal algorithm, which goes as deep as possible in one branch
before visiting other branches. The order of between parents and
children, and between siblings specifies the variation of depth-first
search, and pre-order is one of them. But "pre-order" is the most
accurate term for MemoryContextTraverseNext() anyway.

------
Regards,
Alexander Korotkov