Re: A strange GiST error message or fillfactor of GiST build

From: Alexander Korotkov <a(dot)korotkov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
To: Kyotaro HORIGUCHI <horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: Andrey Borodin <x4mmm(at)yandex-team(dot)ru>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: A strange GiST error message or fillfactor of GiST build
Date: 2018-09-04 10:05:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Sep 4, 2018 at 12:16 PM Kyotaro HORIGUCHI
<horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp> wrote:
> I agree that fillfactor should be ignored in certain cases
> (inserting the first tuple into empty pages or something like
> that). Even though GiST doesn't need fillfactor at all, it is
> defined independently from AM instances

What exactly do you mean? Yes, fillfactor is defined in StdRdOptions
struct, which is shared across many access methods. But some of them
uses fillfactor, while others don't. For instance, GIN and BRIN don't
support fillfactor at all.

> and it gives some
> (undocumented) convenient on testing even on GiST.

Do you keep in the mind some particular use cases? If so, could you
please share them. It would let me and others understand what
behavior we need to preserve and why.

------
Alexander Korotkov
The Russian Postgres Company