Re: Connections hang indefinitely while taking a gin index's LWLock buffer_content lock

From: Alexander Korotkov <aekorotkov(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Andrey Borodin <x4mmm(at)yandex-team(dot)ru>, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>, chenhj <chjischj(at)163(dot)com>, Teodor Sigaev <teodor(at)sigaev(dot)ru>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Connections hang indefinitely while taking a gin index's LWLock buffer_content lock
Date: 2019-03-22 08:05:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Mar 22, 2019 at 12:06 AM Alvaro Herrera
<alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> On 2019-Mar-21, Alexander Korotkov wrote:
>
> > However, I think this still can be backpatched correctly. We can
> > determine whether xlog record data contains deleteXid by its size.
> > See the attached patch. I haven't test this yet. I'm going to test
> > it. If OK, then push.
>
> Wow, this is so magical that I think it merits a long comment explaining
> what is going on.

Yeah, have to fo magic to fix such weird things :)
Please, find next revision of patch attached. It uses static
assertion to check that data structure size has changed. Also,
assertion checks that record data length match on of structures
length.

------
Alexander Korotkov
The Russian Postgres Company

Attachment Content-Type Size
gin-redo-delete-page-backpatch-fix-2.patch application/octet-stream 1.9 KB