Re: unnesting multirange data types

From: Alexander Korotkov <aekorotkov(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Jonathan S(dot) Katz" <jkatz(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>, Zhihong Yu <zyu(at)yugabyte(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: unnesting multirange data types
Date: 2021-06-17 16:54:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Jun 16, 2021 at 3:44 PM Alexander Korotkov <aekorotkov(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 15, 2021 at 8:18 PM Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> > Alexander Korotkov <aekorotkov(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> > > I did run "check-world", but it passed for me. Probably the same
> > > reason it passed for some buildfarm animals...
> >
> > It looks to me like the proximate problem is that you should
> > have taught pg_dump to skip these new auto-generated functions.
>
> Yes, it appears that pg_dump skips auto-generated functions, but
> doesn't skip auto-generated casts. It appears to be enough to tune
> query getCasts() to resolve the issue. The revised patch is attached.

Here is the next revision of the patch: I've adjusted some comments.

In my point of view this patch is not actually complex. The reason
why it colored buildfarm in red is purely my fault: I messed up with
"make check-world" :(

I've registered it on the commitfest application to make it go through
commitfest.cputube.org. My proposal is to re-push it once it goes
through commitfest.cputube.org.

------
Regards,
Alexander Korotkov

Attachment Content-Type Size
multirange_unnest_cast_to_array-v6.patch application/octet-stream 22.7 KB