Re: [GENERAL] C++ port of Postgres

From: Christian Convey <christian(dot)convey(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Joy Arulraj <jarulraj(at)cs(dot)cmu(dot)edu>
Cc: Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] C++ port of Postgres
Date: 2016-09-06 18:56:18
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Aug 31, 2016 at 9:41 AM, Peter Eisentraut
<peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
>> Joy, do you have an idea what a *minimally invasive* patch for C++
>> support would look like? That's certainly the first step here.
>
> I developed a minimally invasive patch for C++ support a few years ago
> shortly after I wrote that blog post. Since there appears to have been
> some interest here now, I have updated that and split it up into logical
> chunks.
>
> So here you go.

Hi folks,

I'm ready for my first-ever PG code review, and I was considering
tackling this one. I.e., https://commitfest.postgresql.org/10/776/

Could someone help me with a few procedural questions?

(1) This page: https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Reviewing_a_Patch
lists the current commitfest's manager as "(vacant)". But this page:
https://commitfest.postgresql.org/ seems to indicate that a commitfest
is currently in progress. Is there a commitfest manager at the
moment?

(2) It seems like there are still a few big questions about this commit:

- Is it wanted at the moment? It didn't seem like there's a
consensus about whether or not this enhancement should be
merged, even if the patch is pretty minimal.

- It seems like there are two competing patch
sets in play for this enhancement: Joy's and
Peter's. Presumably at most one of them would
be merged.

Are these signs that I should find a different commit to review
for now, so that this one can be further discussed?

Thanks very much,
Christian