Breaking compile-time dependency cycles of Postgres subdirs?

From: Christian Convey <christian(dot)convey(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Breaking compile-time dependency cycles of Postgres subdirs?
Date: 2014-02-07 12:39:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

This question is mostly just curiosity...

There are build-time dependency cycles between some of Postgres' code
subdirectories. For example, "storage" and "access" have such a cycle:
storage/buffpage.h #includes access/xlogdefs.h
access/visibilitymap.h #includes storage/block.h

Has there been any discussion about reorganizing these directories so that
no such cycles exist?

As someone very new to this code base, I think these cycles make it a
little harder to figure out the runtime and compile-time dependencies
between the subsystems these directories seem to represent. I wonder if
that's a problem others face as well?