Re: support for CREATE MODULE

From: Swaha Miller <swaha(dot)miller(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: support for CREATE MODULE
Date: 2022-02-04 21:04:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Feb 4, 2022 at 10:46 AM Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 2, 2022 at 06:28:30PM -0800, Swaha Miller wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm following up from Jim's POC for adding MODULE to PostgreSQL. [1]
> >
> > My proposal implements modules as schema objects to be stored in a new
> > system catalog pg_module with new syntax for CREATE [OR REPLACE] MODULE,
>
> You might want to consider the steps that are most successful at getting
> Postgres patches accepted:
>
> https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Todo
> Desirability -> Design -> Implement -> Test -> Review -> Commit
>
> In this case, you have jumped right to Implement. Asking about
> Desirability first can avoid a lot of effort.

Thanks Bruce, that's really helpful. I was building on the discussion in
Jim's
original thread, which is why I went ahead with another POC implementation,
but I do consider this implementation as part of the desirability/design
aspect
and am hoping to get input from the community to shape this proposal/patch.

Swaha Miller