Question: How do you manage version control?

From: Bryan Montgomery <monty(at)english(dot)net>
To: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Question: How do you manage version control?
Date: 2012-06-01 15:28:17
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello,
So we've been reviewing our processes and working on improving them. One
area we've been lacking is a procedure to version control our database
functions, table changes, static data etc.

I'm curious how others do it. Ideally, we want it to be part of our release
/ build process so that we deploy functions.

However, how do you handle dependancies?

We've also used patch files if we need to modify tables - these are
typically written to only run once, ie alter table add column x int. Any
thoughts on putting this in to a process so that it can be run mutliple
times without any issue?

Thanks,
Bryan.