deadlock_timeout affect on performance

From: pg noob <pgnube(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: deadlock_timeout affect on performance
Date: 2012-10-01 16:49:53
Lists: pgsql-performance

Hi all,

I have a question about the deadlock_timeout in regards to performance.
Right now we have this timeout set at its default of 1s.
My understanding of it is that this means that every 1 second the server
will check for deadlocks.
What I am wondering is how much of a performance improvement we would
expect to get if this was raised to 30 seconds?
Is it negligible or could it be a substantial performance improvement on a
busy system?
We very rarely have deadlocks and waiting 30 seconds to discover one
doesn't seem too bad.

Thank you.