Re: Finer Extension dependencies

From: Hitoshi Harada <umi(dot)tanuki(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndquadrant(dot)fr>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Finer Extension dependencies
Date: 2012-02-23 11:35:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 3:18 AM, Dimitri Fontaine
<dimitri(at)2ndquadrant(dot)fr> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Sorry for the delays, I'm back on PostgreSQL related work again.

> Please find v2 of the patch.  I did change the dependency management in
> between the simple cases and the more challenging ones and forgot that I
> had to retest it all in between, which is what happen on a tight
> schedule and when working at night, I guess.

The patch is partially rejected due to the pg_proc column changes from
leakproof, but I could apply manually.

I confirmed DROP EXTENSION is fixed now. In turn, it seems to me
"requires" doesn't work. My test ext2.control looks like:

comment = 'sample1'
default_version = '1.0'
requires = 'featZ'
relocatable = true

And simply this extension can be installed against cleanly-initialized
database. I double-checked there's no entry for featz in
pg_extension_feature.

Also, I found that if control file has duplicate names in "provides",
the error is not friendly ("duplicate entry for pg_extension_feature",
or something). This is same if "provides" has the extension name
itself.

I'll have a look more but give comments so far so that you can find
solutions to them soon.

Thanks,
--
Hitoshi Harada