Database Horizon

From: Goti <aryan(dot)goti(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Database Horizon
Date: 2022-09-22 14:00:12
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

I was reading through snapshot chapter in Egor Rogov's postgres internals
and there I came across the below.. I am not sure how this is possible and
how can I reproduce? Can someone explain the below 2 points if possible?

A real transaction at the Read Committed isolation level holds the database
horizon in the same way, even if it is not executing any operators (being
in the “idle in trasaction” state).

A virtual transaction at the Read Committed isolation level holds the
horizon only while executing operators.

Thanks,

Goti