Re: Oracle vs. PostgreSQL - a comment

From: Michael Nolan <htfoot(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Paul Förster <paul(dot)foerster(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Oracle vs. PostgreSQL - a comment
Date: 2020-06-02 15:32:10
Lists: pgsql-general

I spent about 10 years as an Oracle DBA (back around Oracle 7 and 8) and
the last 20 or so years doing PostgreSQL.

My initial impressions were that Oracle did a better job providing tools
and options that users and DBAs need and PostgreSQL was pretty much
roll-your-own.

Things like being able to copy tables from one database to another or to
restore the dump of a table to another table name in the same database are
things that would make a DBA's life a lot easier.

I worked on a general-purpose web-based tool that could read the PostgreSQL
table structures and provide a form for querying and updating most field
types in a table, but never really took it beyond the persona use basis.
Now that I'm retired, maybe I"ll work on this again.
--
Mike Nolan