Re: incorrect pg_dump output due to not handling dropped roles correctly

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Ferdi Smit <FerdiSmit(at)optiver(dot)com>, Floris Van Nee <florisvannee(at)optiver(dot)com>, "pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: incorrect pg_dump output due to not handling dropped roles correctly
Date: 2020-01-29 19:07:25
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Greetings,

On Fri, Jan 17, 2020 at 16:26 Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
wrote:

> Stephen, are you intending to get this bug fixed?

I had been hoping to get some kind of feedback or even a response regarding
to the email I posted about what’s going on and how we might want to think
about handling this situation.

In particular- should we really be setting default privileges for objects
that are being created by an extension, at all? The more I think about it,
the less I like it, particularly when we start to think about the trusted
extension work that Tom’s doing.

In short, I’m leaning towards the argument that this was a missing check in
the default ACL code to explicitly *not* add default privileges on objects
that are being created by an extension. With such a check, the entire
wouldn’t end up in pg_init_privs and the issue that started this thread
wouldn’t happen.

Thanks,

Stephen