Re: Shared memory changes in 9.4?

From: Maciek Sakrejda <m(dot)sakrejda(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Shared memory changes in 9.4?
Date: 2014-05-28 05:49:50
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

On Tue, May 27, 2014 at 8:23 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> I think it would be good to understand why initdb isn't getting this
> right. Did you run initdb outside the LXC container, where /dev/shm
> would have worked, but then run postgres inside the LXC container,
> where /dev/shm does not work? I ask because initdb is supposed to be
> doing the same thing that postgres does, so it really ought to come to
> the same conclusion about what will and won't work.

You're absolutely right--I thought initdb was containerized as well, but
I looked at our code and this is exactly what's happening.

> ....We've already fixed a bunch of DSM-related issues
> as a result of the fact that the default *isn't* none, and I dunno how
> many of those we would have found if the default had been none.

For what it's worth, +1. I'm not sure whether or not we had a good reason
for
doing initdb outside the container, but it's definitely an aberrant
configuration,
and should not be taken as evidence that the current default is a problem.