Re: pg_stat_statements requires compute_query_id

From: Maciek Sakrejda <m(dot)sakrejda(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_stat_statements requires compute_query_id
Date: 2021-05-10 17:03:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, May 10, 2021 at 7:43 AM Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> On Mon, May 10, 2021 at 04:36:16PM +0200, Pavel Stehule wrote:
> > I expected just an empty column query_id and workable extension. This
> > doesn't look well.
> >
> > More, it increases the (little bit) complexity of migration to Postgres 14.
>
> This was already raised multiple times, and the latest discussion can be found
> at [1].
>
> Multiple options have been suggested, but AFAICT there isn't a clear consensus
> on what we should do exactly, so I've not been able to send a fix yet.
>
> [1]: https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/35457b09-36f8-add3-1d07-6034fa585ca8%40oss.nttdata.com

Before it petered out, the thread seemed to be converging toward
consensus that the situation could be improved. I work on pganalyze,
and our product requires pg_stat_statements to be enabled for a lot of
its functionality. We guide our users through enabling it, but if
additional steps are required in 14, that may be confusing. I don't
have any strong feelings on the particular mechanism that would work
best here, but it would be nice if enabling pg_stat_statements in 14
did not require more work than in 13. Even if it's just one extra
setting, it's another potential thing to get wrong and have to
troubleshoot, plus it means all existing pg_stat_statements guides out
there would become out of date.

Thanks,
Maciek