PostgreSQL TCL extension - Redhat 5

From: Oscar Calderon <ocalderon(at)solucionesaplicativas(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: PostgreSQL TCL extension - Redhat 5
Date: 2013-05-15 00:02:50
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi to everybody, this is my first email in this list. I wanna ask you this
because i couldn't find accurated information in google about it. Currently
our company gives maintenance service to another company in postgresql.
They have a redhat 5 server of 64 bits with postgresql 9.1.1 . The server
has TCL 8.4 installed.

So, they asked for help to install the extension of TCL in postgresql
because they developed a procedure written in TCL to send an email with
data extracted from the database. In development they easily installed
PostgreSQL 9.2 in a virtual machine centos from the repositories from
http://yum.postgresql.org/. But in the server, we have a problem, because
when i tried to install the extension for redhat 5, if i update the repos,
it asked me to install postgresql91, postgresql91-libs because the version
that it requires to work as i think.

So i searched for an older version and i found this:

http://yum.postgresql.org/8.4/redhat/rhel-5-x86_64/postgresql-tcl-1.6.2-1PGDG.rhel5.x86_64.rpm

I had installed it without problems, and it appears when i execute SELECT *
FROM pg_available_extensions; but when i try to install it, it gives me
error because it looks for the .so file of tcl 8.5, and the server has tcl
8.4 . And because i'm not responsible of maintenance on the redhat server
(that's another company task), they notified us that that's the maximum
version of TCL that they can upgrade, so my doubt is if there's a version
of postgresql tcl extension that works with tcl 8.4 or if there's another
way to solve it.

Regards.

Oscar Calderon
Analista de Sistemas