Re: Disallowing multiple queries per PQexec()

From: Vaishnavi Prabakaran <vaishnaviprabakaran(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Surafel Temesgen <surafel3000(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Disallowing multiple queries per PQexec()
Date: 2017-05-18 05:47:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, May 18, 2017 at 2:56 AM, Surafel Temesgen <surafel3000(at)gmail(dot)com>
wrote:

> Sorry for being very late. I also think guc version of the patch can be
> acceptable and useful.
>
> I modified the patch as such and added to commitfest 2017-07.

You need documentation changes in "libpq - C Library" chapter's PQexec
section, where it is mentioned that command string can contain multiple SQL
commands and explain how it behaves.

I think GUC's name can be something like "multiple_query_execution" and
setting it ON/OFF will be better. I think others will also come up with
some suggestions here as the current name doesn't go well with other
existing GUCs.

Also, consider adding this new GUC in postgresql.conf.sample file.

Regards,
Vaishnavi,
Fujitsu Australia.