Re: WIP/PoC for parallel backup

From: Jeevan Ladhe <jeevan(dot)ladhe(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: asifr(dot)rehman(at)gmail(dot)com
Cc: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, Kashif Zeeshan <kashif(dot)zeeshan(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Rajkumar Raghuwanshi <rajkumar(dot)raghuwanshi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Jeevan Chalke <jeevan(dot)chalke(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: WIP/PoC for parallel backup
Date: 2020-04-21 09:35:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi Asif,

On Tue, Apr 21, 2020 at 1:00 PM Asif Rehman <asifr(dot)rehman(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I did some tests a while back, and here are the results. The tests were
> done to simulate
> a live database environment using pgbench.
>
> machine configuration used for this test:
> Instance Type: t2.xlarge
> Volume Type : io1
> Memory (MiB) : 16384
> vCPU # : 4
> Architecture : X86_64
> IOP : 16000
> Database Size (GB) : 102
>
> The setup consist of 3 machines.
> - one for database instances
> - one for pg_basebackup client and
> - one for pgbench with some parallel workers, simulating SELECT loads.
>
> basebackup | 4 workers | 8 Workers |
> 16 workers
> Backup Duration(Min): 69.25 | 20.44 | 19.86 |
> 20.15
> (pgbench running with 50 parallel client simulating SELECT load)

Well that looks a bit strange. All 4, 8 and 16 workers backup configurations
seem to have taken the same time. Is it because the machine CPUs are
only 4? In that case did you try to run with 2-workers and compare that
with 4-workers time?

Also, just to clarify and be sure - was there anything else running on any
of
these 3 machines while the backup was in progress.

Regards,
Jeevan Ladhe